Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Precedent

Thus far, I am averaging less than 1 blog post per month. And that's only for about 3 months. That's sort of pathetic. And I don't really have that great of an excuse. Or any excuse really for that matter. So here is my post.

Lately I have been thinking more and more about a job change. From a purely objective viewpoint, I probably can't really complain much about my job. It pays fairly well, I could not have a more flexible schedule, it's close to home, I work with great people.

However, there's something to be said for a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction. That is what seems to be eluding me. I suppose all the essential components are there, but for some reason it's not all coming together. It's like you have all the ingredients to make a fantastic soufle, assembled orderly on your kitchen counter, waiting to be transformed into a delectable delight. The problem is, you don't really feel like making a soufle. You like soufles. They're great. And you can appreciate a good soufle when you see one. And that's the thing, you should appreciate a good soufle when you see one. They take a fair amount of effort and finesse to pull off successfully. It's not like taking a tube of pre-made cookie dough out of the fridge and throwing it on a baking sheet and into the oven. It requires effort. Lots of effort. So too with success in small business. Lots of effort. And organization.

Without getting extremely detailed and even more boring, I'll spare you the details, but lately I've been feeling more and more like a job change is in order. Of course this doesn't mean it will happen now or anytime in the near future, but there's no harm in exploring what's out there, right?

So I did a little browsing on craigslist.org. I even checked out the possibility of doing some on-line translation. I thought about some of my favorite companies (google and mailchimp) and I checked out what they had available. Not a heck of a whole lot. There were some interesting prospects on craigslist though.

One of them was for a newborn photographer at a hospital in western MA. You take pictures of the newborn babies and then help the parents pick out birth announcements, etc. That could be kind of cool. There was also one for a fashion copywriter for a fashion company on-line. Also interesting.

What this little foray has revealed to  me is that I actually have some interests that I have yet to nurture and expose. I've always had an interest in these things (photography, writing) but I never really gave them much weight, since they didn't seem to be viable ways to pay the bills. But things have changed in  the past decade or more when I first joined the work force. People are getting paid to do everything! There were even job postings for part-time bloggers.

And so, as a result, I have made this blog post and will try to continue making posts to build my resume as a blogger.

P.S. You don't have to keep reading my posts, Erica, I know they're not as creative, interesting or informative as yours are, but sometimes I just feel the need to write :)

1 comment:

Just Me :) said...

I was so happy to see 2 new posts! woo hoo! You are a great cook and if you need to experiment go ahead try it out!